About Me

My photo
antrim, antrim, Ireland
Hello and welcome to my blog. If you like flowers and gardens, housey stuff, food and banter, then this is the place for you. I am a decorative artist, florist and maker of things. I sell painted furniture, plants and crafts, through a local retail shop, in my native Ireland, and wedding flowers from home. I am married to a lovely patient man and have a smashing little girl. I blog for the fun of it. Thank you for listening.

Friday 18 November 2011

Vintage Christmas.


I have been having a little fun making corsages to adorn Christmas presents. It all came about when I bought a book called 'Homemade Gifts Vintage Style' by Sarah Moore. I had actually gone out to get a biscuit decorating book by 'The Biscuiteers',it was out of stock and so whilst looking around I found this rather lovely book.


The funny thing is, that Sarah Moore, the author of this book is also co-author of the Biscuiteers book.....small world. I decided that the corasges would look lovely on presents and would be quick and easy to make. The author said that once you start you will find it hard to stop, and she was right! They are simply varying sizes of fabric circles stitched together and then a safety pin sewn in the back. I was thrilled to be able to use up some linen and lace doilies that have been hanging around for years! Old bits of broken jewellery and buttons come in handy too!


For the children in the family, I added these little felt animals that I made last year.

Lots of dogs for my daughter!






Normally I have a colour scheme and theme with my Christmas wrapping. Last year it was brown paper hand stamped with words and doves and wrapped with string. This year it will be more ecclectic to tie in with the corsages.


To keep me entertained whilst making, I listened to Christmas music. I know it's a bit early, but the truth is, and I know it's a bit sad, but I absolutely love it. Every year I buy Starbucks new Christmas cd, because they are usually a quirky mix of various artists, and I just adore the artwork. This year though, the whole cd is by' Pink Martini', and I am not so sure about it, but it's early days, I only bought it today! Then there is the lovely Michael Buble, his cd is fab, I will have it worn out by Christmas!



This will be my next project from the book, a fabric wreath covered with kitschy bits and baubles, it sooo takes me back to my childhood! So sorry if I've been boring you with Christmas stuff too early, but I just love Christmas, and I am beginning to get in the festive spirit.

Thankyou all so very much for your most touching and heartfelt remarks on my last post, it meant the world to me! Have a wonderful weekend, love Linda x

14 comments:

  1. Hi Linda,

    You sound so cheerful! Christmas must be one of your favourite times of the year. My daughters asked me to wait with the decorating. We have to celebrate Sinterklaas first on the 5th of December. After that, I will finally get my boxes from the loft :-)

    It must be fun making those corsages. They look really beautiful! Looking forward to see your wreath.

    Lieve groet & happy weekend,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Linda:
    'Tis the season to be jolly...this certainly seems to be your catchphrase at the moment. How lovely to feel so joyous, but can you really keep up the festive spirit for 5 weeks?!! We suspect you can!!!

    The corsages look wonderful and every one personalised and different. We are sure that the recipients will be delighted and will surely wear them with pride long after the Christmas festivities have ended.

    Christmas starts here on Christmas Eve and only St Miklás at the beginning of December in between. Then the merry tunes can play!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,Linda, you're making me feel all excited about Christmas already, my friend! All the family are here this year, so I've decided to decorate earlier this year. Those little corsages are such a lovely idea. I must check out that Michael Buble Christmas CD. As you say, listening to Christmas music, really gets you in the mood. I've started wrapping my Christmas pressies already. :) Happy weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say, love your new header!! You see, I do notice these things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda,

    Love the new look blog, it is great.
    love Christmas
    love Michael Buble.


    Your ideas for Christmas are lovely,
    bet there is great excitement in your house with Santa coming to your little girl and of course your little niece is having her first Christmas
    so lovely memories to make for all.


    | love decorating the house and can't wait to start
    but think I will do it arond the 8th December.

    Let's start posting about our favourite season
    and get into the spirit of things


    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda

    You are having too much fun! I love the tags and they will add a personal touch to your gifts.

    The wreath looks complicated. I will look forward to seeing it in its completion.

    I have Luciano Pavarotti's Christmas tape and over the years we play it as we decorate the tree.

    My best
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh Linda, what a lovely festive post :) I love your corsages and the animals are especially adorable. I also like to wrap gifts listening to a Christmas CD and Michael Buble will be getting worn out in my home too!
    I have taken your advice and now have enough dried hydrangea heads to make a wreath to hang up inside the house. How are you getting on with the big hydrangea ball? I am looking forward to seeing it as I know it will look wonderful.
    Thank you for popping back to my post and leaving such lovely comments... you really are such a kind hearted soul :)
    Have a great weekend. Love, Abby xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Christmas corsages are beautiful...a little gift all by itself. And isn't that Michael Buble CD the best? Never too early to start listening to holiday music!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda... it's all so beautiful! I love vintage and nostalgia! And I love music with an atmosphere (I adore Frank Sinatra, Jazz, and music from the 30s) It's never too early to start feeling Christmasey and happy, you know?

    I saw that Michael Buble`'s CD advertised on TV. My favourite Christmas CD ids "Cool Yule!" I know all the songs:"He's making a list and checking it twice! He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice..." I hope you've been good for Santa! Or have you been naughty, Linda?

    LOVELY, LOVELY POST!

    ANNA
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda...I love your new blog banner!
    Oh my goodness! The corsages are sooooo cute!
    So festive! A perfect vehicle for your gift of unlimited creativity!

    I too, love Michael Buble! We go to the mountains on the first weekend of December. It's our official kickoff to Christmas! I bought the CD for the drive!
    Thanks for the reference to Sarah Moore!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  11. The special corsages to decorate individual gifts is such a wonderful idea, Linda! That looks like a lovely book. I love your little felt animals for the children's gifts too, really sweet. And crafting Christmas gifts to Christmas music....just such a blissful combination! (Must find my xmas cd's now!) Have a happy week ahead, and enjoy your lovely crafty times.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is clear that you LOVE these projects - how fantastic! You are certainly talented. I am going to check into that Buble album - I've been hearing the buzz about it lately :) Thank you for the reminder. XOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wanted to say hello. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Linda...I have popped here via your comments(finally, sorry for the delay - been flat out with a flu!)...love love love your creativity and these corsages! Gorgeous! Yoko xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.....