About Me

My photo
antrim, antrim, Ireland
Hello and welcome to my blog. If you like flowers and gardens, housey stuff, food and banter, then this is the place for you. I am a decorative artist, florist and maker of things. I sell painted furniture, plants and crafts, through a local retail shop, in my native Ireland, and wedding flowers from home. I am married to a lovely patient man and have a smashing little girl. I blog for the fun of it. Thank you for listening.

Sunday 15 January 2017

Hibernation

photo from here.



I was recently inspired by Douglas Elliman's Florida real estate office to write a post about making one's home cosy for winter. I was delighted as this is my kind of topic and I had been thinking of making a few changes to my own living room, and was spurred on to do it!

I don't know about you but once Christmas is over and the decorations are down the place can seem a little drab and dreary, with all the sparkle packed away for another year. I know that one can then become a bit obsessed with Spring, constantly wishing for it. Let's face it, certainly here in the U.K. we could have a few more months of cold, wet, windy weather. So why not embrace it, unleash the 'hygge', make a cosy corner for reading, listening to music, sewing or knitting. Surround yourself with comfort and indulge in a little pampering. Have candles at the ready, something lovely to eat, a warming drink, something inviting to read, or just look at, and a comfortable chair with a cosy throw. I'm ready to hibernate, are you?





Three years ago I felt inspired to give my living room a French ski chalet feel, I painted the wooden floor to look like stone slabs, and painted the chimney breast with a pattern to look like wallpaper, with woodland animals, Christmas trees and chalets. My family thought I had lost the plot and couldn't think what it would be like once Christmas was over. I however, love Christmas and snowy, wintry places. My room faces North East and doesn't get any sun until the evening, so I rather enjoy having it cosy, the pattern on the chimney is quite subtle and so doesn't take over. The rest of the walls were colourwashed using Autentico's chalk paint in a warm grey colour called Dolphin. I still enjoy the way the room is decorated but just wanted to ring the changes with a little bit of warmth and depth.
 I have had a colour in my mind for a long time that I wanted to add to the room but was finding  it difficult to pin down on a colour chart. I wanted the colour of old leather books, tan, but faded, or the colour of whisky or brandy in a glass with light coming through it. I do like to make life difficult for myself.

image from Ralph Lauren

image from here
I decided the best way was to colourwash the walls. I mixed my own wash using powder pigment  in raw sienna, burnt sienna and vegetable black, then I added a little chalk paint in Cappucino to bind it and a lot of water. I used a large brush to paint it on with and then a cloth to get the cloudy effect. It took 4 layers to get the right effect, but it is quite quick to do, as you need to work fast to prevent getting a hard edge. I was very happy with the finished result an it immediately made my room feel more cosy. I decided to wash 2 lampshades that were very white.



My pretty lady has her best beads on!
My furniture was all grey so it still tied in with the new scheme apart from a bookcase which was blue/grey on the outside. I painted this with Rustoleum Chalk Paint in Flint. My room was now beginning to take shape. I just needed certain ingredients to make it more cosy. I added some candlelight which always softens and warms up your surroundings. The next step was to light the fire, a big hit with everyone, including the 2 dogs. There was a smattering of snow outside, but we were warm as toast inside.

I previously had silver things in my room. I always enjoy something shiny to reflect the light, but felt that gold or brass would now look better. I know its's not terribly fashionable but I have inherited a love of brass from my mother.

I have a favourite painting that my sister did a few years ago in the naiive style of an elegant country house, it makes a cosy collection on  the mantelpiece with other houses.

A faux fur throw on the chair comes in handy when the fire is fading.
Another cosy trick is to bring a little of the outside in. As the weather is cold and blustering ouside enjoy some spring bulbs inside, and something green always gives your room more life and energy.




Scent is an important element too and I am not yet ready to give up the smell of my home made pot pourri containing dried oranges, anise, cloves, cinnamon for something lighter and fresher just yet.



I hope you have enjoyed taking a look at my home and it's ever evolving interiors. The sofa is my next job, you will note it has been safely hidden from view. It needs to have a makeover. I really would love a new one, but with a dog and a puppy I don't see that happening any time soon. I plan to make a washable cover from a natural linen and to change the cushions for something plainer. 





Wishing you all a cosy winter, in anticipation of warmer days ahead. Linda xx








14 comments:

  1. You have been busy, it looks so very cosy. So nice to have another look on your wall (after seeing already a tiny bit on IG) and love the wallpaper! Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, thank you so much for your lovely comments.The chimney breast is not wallpapered but hand painted and stencilled to look like wallpaper. I am very glad you like it. Hope you are feeling a little better. Linda xx

      Delete
  2. I love your home Linda because it's a welcoming and cozy space all around. An ever evolving home is the best thing as it follows the life and the mood of its owners. Thanks for sharing.
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olympia, such lovely words, thank you very much. I do agree that your home should change as you change. Wishing you a happy week. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post, Linda. Hey, gold and brass are really big in the U.S. right now and it never was out at my house.
    You have made your home glow with candlelight, spring bulbs and fragrant scents. It is cozy and inviting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thank you for your very kind comments. Oh I am glad you like gold and brass too! My room does come into its own at night with the fire and candles lit, and of course like you, there always has to be flowers! Thanks for stopping by, love Linda xx

      Delete
  5. Good post for this time of the year. What a delight to get a snapshot of your lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, how lovely of you to call in and thank you so much for your kind comments.Linda xx

      Delete
  6. So happy I stopped by as we have similar tastes from what I see. I love the description of the brandy color you wanted and got with hard work and imagination, something i wouldn't have the patience for. As for copper, i love it and have quite alot of copper pans in my kitchen. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us, makes Winter more endurable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Constanza, I am so happy you called by and flattered that we have similar tastes.It did take me a while to get the colour I wanted but nothing else would have pleased me so it was worth the effort! I love copper too, and some old copper pots and pans are on my wish list. Thank you for your lovely comments. Linda xx

      Delete
  7. Great post as soon as I saw the title I thought Hygge. Thanks for your recent visit to Travel Tales and for leaving a comment, so good to hear from you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindylou, it's very good to be in touch again! I am glad you recognised the 'hygge.' Wishing you a very happy day! xx

      Delete
  8. Your home looks beautiful and so cosy Linda. I loved seeing the new touches here and there to make your vision come to life. You are such a creative home maker.
    Have a lovely week ahead.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, you are very kind with your lovely comments,we definitely need our homes to be warm and cosy at this time of year! Enjoy your weekend too! Linda x

      Delete

I love to hear your comments.....