About Me

My photo
antrim, antrim, Ireland
Hello and welcome to my blog. If you like flowers and gardens, housey stuff, food and banter, then this is the place for you. I am a decorative artist, florist and maker of things. I sell painted furniture, plants and crafts, through a local retail shop, in my native Ireland, and wedding flowers from home. I am married to a lovely patient man and have a smashing little girl. I blog for the fun of it. Thank you for listening.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

'I know it's only Rock 'n' Roll......but I like it!

So sorry, it's been so long since I posted! Saturday night was my 50th birthday party, and it was great fun!

After the last party I had at home I didn't know if I wanted to have another. I asked your advice and you kindkly encouraged me to have one but to take the strain off with the catering side of things. I decided as it was going to be a 1950's themed party, that I would make burgers, part cook them and then let my husband finish them off on the barbie. Good plan! It went a little wrong though. I found I didn't have the time to pre-cook them and my hubbie didn't get the barbie hot enough, soon enough, so I ended up in the kitchen anyway! Hey ho, I decided whatever happened I wasn't going to stress, and I am proud to say I didn't. I had found a Jamie Oliver recipe for 'Elvis Burgers', they contained chilli, mustard, tarragon, onion, and parmesan cheese, and I must say they were very good. I laid out all the different toppings, relishes etc., and people helped themselves and then held the burger together with a little american flag. I enlisted help from my two lovely sisters with the making of salads, and a friend brought a lovely vegetarian roulade. I got some salmon with a dressing on from M&S, for my brother, who doesn't eat meat, and that was wrapped in foil and popped in the oven for 10 minutes! There were sausage rolls, cocktail sausages and chicken for the children, so everyone was happy.

For dessert I made Peanut Butter Ice-cream and Brownie sandwiches in advance and they were just kept in the freezer until needed. These were a Martha Stewart recipe, and went down very well. There were little fairy cakes for the children also. So it wasn't fancy, but I think everyone enjoyed it.

As usual I forgot to take photos at the party, but here are some I took before and after to give you an idea of how it turned out.




You might remember, the garage was turned into the Lion's Head Pub, for our last party.
This time stripes were added to make it into 'The Ice-cream Parlour'.

View from the kitchen.










Images from Pinterest
I am having some difficulty uploading my photos, so I will love you and leave you for now and let you have some more photos later. I hope you all had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend? Love Linda x

10 comments:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful party Linda!
    The food all sounds delicious, especially the pud!
    Love the way you have decorated the outside of the garage as an icecream parlour, it looks marvellous.
    Hope you had a birthday to remember Linda!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so darn cute! Who wouldn't want to party with you! The garage is adorable!
    Happy Birthday, sweet "Rock & Roll Girl"!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda, I am so glad your party was such a success. The food sounded mouth watering, peanut butter ice cream and brownie sandwiches... heavenly! And all served in the most fantastic ice cream parlour, what a wonderful transformation of your garage! Fifty and most certainly fabulous :)
    Hope you have a good week. Love Abby xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday.
    Sounds like you did an amazing job with everything that was available to eat!!! And love the decoration on your garage - so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Linda!!!! Many happy belated returns!! your house looks so beautiful and you arranged everything so nice for the party.... Lovely decoration!!! un bacio grande!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda, Glad your party all went well sounds like it was fun.. no matter how much planning we do us women always end up in the kitchen, don't we :).. your garden and shed look so good!, I really love the strips, I would love to paint my shed but its under trees and we get a lot of sticky sap so would get dirty very quickly. Love the new header too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Linda,

    I see I missed your last two posts. So sorry!! Congratulations on your 50th birthday! It sounds like you had a great party. Such a good idea to give it a 1950s Rock 'n roll theme! The preparations are so much fun already. Everything looks great, your house, garden and your outfits!

    Have a lovely wednesday!

    Lieve groet, Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Linda

    I love your 1950s theme and the Ice Cream Parlour is a stroke of genius as is your colour palette.
    Once again: Happy birthday.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Linda, congratulations on your birthday! Great idea to organize a Rock and Roll party!
    I was invited to a "seventy-soul-party" last year, it was big fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda
    Congratulations on your 50th. What a party - you are such a professional and I am sure everyone had a ball. I love the theme idea. Your place looked so festive and inviting.

    Wishing you a year full of goodness and joy.

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments.....